ID card of
Chateau Canon 2006
In 1760, Jacques Kanon bought the Saint Martin vineyard on top of the finest slope in Saint Emilion. The improvements made on the estate quickly resulted in the wine's success, and its new name of Canon. The estate was acquired by Raymond Fontemoing, a major Libourne wine shipper, in 1770. In 1919, Canon was purchased by Monsieur and Madame Fournier. They invested a great deal of effort and know-how in the property and transmitted their passion for fine wine to their grandchildren. Canon's sub-soil is full of underground galleries dug out of solid limestone (in fact, a former quarry).The topsoil is clay.Merlot and Cabernet Franc vines are grown in the traditional way. The grapes are hand-picked with two specifics selection on sorting table and the wine is fermented in double walled stainless steel vats integrating a thermo-regulation system. Both Grand Vin and Clos Canon aged in oak barrels prior to bottling. Canon is famous for its power, finesse and tremendous ageing potential.Thanks to its inimitable soil, the wine of Canon has been much appreciated around the world for over two centuries. In 1996, the estate was acquired by Chanel Inc. which is undertaking a large-scale programme of renovation of the vineyard and buildings.