Chateau Belair-Monange 2010

  • Personalized Advice
  • 100% Secure Payment
  • Guaranteed provenance
All Vintages of this wine

A Saint-Emilion with Abundant Red Fruit and Graphite Aromas

Although the winemaking history of Chateau Belair-Monange dates back to before the French Revolution, the estate saw the beginning of its Renaissance when it was acquired in 2008 by the Moueix family. Christian Moueix and his son Edouard carried out tremendous improvements on the property, by significantly reducing the yield of the vineyards, harvesting at a later date and investing in new technologies at the winery. Today, the property enjoys the Premier Grand Cru Classe of Saint-Emilion classification. Out of the 23.5 hectares (58 acres) of vines, only around 14 hectares are currently under production, with 90% planted to Merlot and the remaining 10% to Cabernet Franc. Expressed in each sip of Chateau Belair-Monange are the estate's two distinct but complementary terroirs: its limestone plateau and the blue clay soils on its limestone slopes. This combination of soils results in greater complexity and nuance in the finished wines. Following a manual harvest, including a primary manual sorting out in the vineyard and a secondary optical sorting at the winery, the fruit is vinified in thermoregulated stainless steel and concrete tanks. Maceration and extraction are carried out in the gentlest way possible. The wine then spends between 16 and 18 months maturing in French oak barrels, around 50% of which are new.

The Chateau Belair-Monange 2010, primarily of Merlot, displays a deep, dense purple color in the glass. Fresh, spicy aromas of raspberry reveal themselves on the nose, along with notes of powdered rock (graphite) and mossy undergrowth. On the palate, this Saint-Emilion is stunningly concentrated, with abundant fruit and an extraordinary personality. A tight entry leads to a firm structure of velvety tannins, balanced with a fresh acidity. A beautifully composed and elegant finish offers plenty of black fruit, along with hints of truffle. Drink 2022-2035.
Parker : 96 / 100
Wine Spectator : 95 / 100
Wine Advocate-Parker :
An absolutely magnificent wine from Christian Moueix and his son Edouard, this wine is right up there with their 2009 and may eclipse it in terms of its potential longevity. Dense purple, with a near-liqueur of crushed rocks and chalk intermixed with blueberry, black raspberry and cassis, this wine is very full-bodied for a Belair, with ethereal complexity and impressive texture and length. I believe this is the first vintage of the wine to be released in an engraved bottle, which seems to be the direction of all the top estates in the Jean-Pierre Moueix stable. More evidence of concerned Bordelais attempting to stop criminals intent on producing fraudulent bottles of these limited production wines. Forget this baby for 7-8 years and then look for it to evolve over three decades-plus.
BordeauxSaint-Emilion
Grape varieties
cepage_detail_merlot_cabernet_franc

Dessert wine
No

J. Robinson
17

J. Suckling
95

R. Gabriel
18

Wine Spectator
95

Country
France

Wine certification
AOC

Vineyard
Libournais

Region
Bordeaux

Appellation
Saint-Emilion

Color
Red

Producer
Chateau Belair-Monange

Classification
1er grand cru classé "B"

Parker
96

Allergens
Contains sulfites