Marks and reviews
Located at the gates of Bordeaux, Chateau Pape Clement is one of the oldest wine-growing properties in the region, with a first harvest that took place in 1252. Chateau Pape Clement owes its name to Pope Clement V, who managed the vineyard before giving it to the Archbishop of Bordeaux. The vineyard is therefore sometimes nicknamed "Pope Clement's Vines". In 1983, Bernard Magrez, a tireless builder and composer of rare wines, purchased the property. Bernard Magrez, who now owns 4 Grands Crus Classes in Bordeaux, invested all of his energy and passion, elevating Chateau Pape Clement to the highest level of Bordeaux Grands Crus. In 2009, Chateau Pape Clement was rewarded for its quality by a 100/100 score from American critic Robert Parker. Chateau Pape Clement enjoys a worldwide reputation, both for its red wines and for its white wines.
The vineyard devoted to white wine at Chateau Pape Clement represents 18 hectares of the estate. Located in the town of Pessac, the 22-year-old vines are planted in a sheet of gravelly clay soils.
Vinification and aging
Following the filling of the fully manual pneumatic press, whole-berry pressing was carried out with a slow and gradual increase in pressure in an inert environment to protect the aromas. The juice was run off from the press into barrels by gravity. Vinification was carried out in French oak barriques and foudres, as well as the aging, which took place with a regular stirring of the lees.