Located at the gates of Bordeaux, Chateau Pape Clement is one of the oldest wine-growing properties in the region, with a first harvest that took place in 1252. Chateau Pape Clement owes its name to Pope Clement V, who managed the vineyard before giving it to the Archbishop of Bordeaux. The vineyard is therefore sometimes nicknamed "Pope Clement's Vines". In 1983, Bernard Magrez, a tireless builder and composer of rare wines, purchased the property. Bernard Magrez, who now owns 4 Grands Crus Classes in Bordeaux, invested all of his energy and passion, elevating Chateau Pape Clement to the highest level of Bordeaux Grands Crus. In 2009, Chateau Pape Clement was rewarded for its quality by a 100/100 score from American critic Robert Parker. Chateau Pape Clement enjoys a worldwide reputation, both for its red wines and for its white wines.
The vineyard devoted to white wine at Chateau Pape Clement represents 18 hectares of the estate. Located in the town of Pessac, the 22-year-old vines are planted in a sheet of gravelly clay soils.
Fully manual filling of the pneumatic press. Pressing in whole bunches with a very slow pressure build-up in an inert atmosphere for flavor protection. Gravity flow of the juices from the press into the barrels. Settling and vinification in French oak barrels and casks. 15% of the wine vinified in new generation egg-shaped cement vats.
Aging on fine lees with regular stirring.
Sauvignon blanc (46%), sémillon (40%), sauvignon gris (14%).