Designated a Classified Graves 1953, Château Latour-Martillac owes its name to the tower in the courtyard, the vestige of a fortress built in the 12th century by the ancestors of the famous winegrower and philosopher, Montesquieu. Located on an outstanding rise of Pyrenean gravel, this estate caught the eye of Édouard Kressmann, a Bordeaux négociant, as early as 1871. He was particularly impressed with the quality of the white wines. His elder son, Alfred, bought the estate in 1930. Alfred expanded the red wine vineyard and, in 1934, designed with his son Jean, the label with gold and sand coloured diagonal stripes that is still used today. Today Jean Kressmann's sons, Tristan and Loïc, assisted by the best consulting oenologists in Bordeaux, perpetuate the family tradition in order to extract the quintessence of the superb Graves terroir. Thanks to their elegant structure and balance, the red and white wines of Latour-Martillac (both of which are classified growths) are widely recognised as among the most reliable in Pessac-Léognan.